Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My Teaser this week comes from The Medea Complex by Rachel Florence Roberts…
Taken from the Second Chapter entitled Behind A Beautiful Smile, my teaser is from the notes of Dr George Savage on October 12th 1885.
Such a normal looking woman. Demure. Soft. Kind.
I remember only too well the screaming crowd outside the hospital on the day she arrived.
Anne wakes up in a strange bed, having been kidnapped from her home. Slowly, she realizes she is in a lunatic asylum.
1885. Anne Stanbury – Committed to a lunatic asylum, having been deemed insane and therefore unfit to stand trial for the crime of which she is indicted. But is all as it seems?
Edgar Stanbury – the grieving husband and father who is torn between helping his confined wife recover her sanity, and seeking revenge on the woman who ruined his life.
Dr George Savage – the well respected psychiatrist, and chief medical officer of Bethlem Royal Hospital. Ultimately, he holds Anne’s future wholly in his hands.
The Medea Complex tells the story of a misunderstood woman suffering from insanity in an era when mental illnesses’ were all too often misdiagnosed and mistreated. A deep and riveting psychological thriller set within an historical context, packed full of twists and turns, The Medea Complex explores the nature of the human psyche: what possesses us, drives us, and how love, passion, and hope for the future can drive us to insanity Amazon
I’m about a quarter of the way through this book and really enjoying it! If you like the sound of it this book is free on kindle until Wednesday 13 November at Amazon (UK and US)
- Teaser Tuesday: Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (barbaracroweauthor.wordpress.com)
- Teaser Tuesday: What the Ground Can’t Hold by Shady Cosgrove (writenotereviews.wordpress.com)
- The Medea Complex (literarygrind.wordpress.com)